If you or your child wears braces and is going on a trip or vacation, this will mean a little bit of extra preparation. There are a few checklist items you should observe if you’re going somewhere where you won’t have access to your orthodontist for a significant period, though many of these items are similar to basic braces care in the first place.
At Redwood Orthodontics, we’ll help get you prepared for any traveling you’ll be doing while wearing braces. Here are a few basic tips we can offer.
Make a List
Firstly, it helps to keep a handy list of all the items you might need for basic tooth and braces care while you’re out of town. This list of items includes:
- A toothpick, flosspick or any other interdental cleaners you use to clean your gums or brackets
- A travel toothbrush
- A water bottle or mini bottle of mouth rinse, for swishing in the mouth
- Orthodontic wax, meant to help with any discomfort from protruding wires or other areas
- A small mirror for examining any possible issues – you never know if you might have a problem in an area where there’s no access to a mirror
Put these items together in a basic oral hygiene kit, or you can consider buying pre-made braces kits that are commonly available. Ask your orthodontist about any questions here.
Foods to Avoid
There are a few foods you should stay away from to prevent any braces issues while on vacation:
- Chewy or sticky food, or gum
- Apples, pears and other fruits in their whole form – instead, cut them into wedges
- Bagels and hard rolls
- Corn on the cob
- Hard candies, cookies or pretzels
- All varieties of nuts
If There Are Issues
If you or your child does run into unavoidable braces issues while on a trip, we suggest searching online for a local orthodontic practice in the area. Most orthodontists are happy to lend a brief helping hand to help get someone out of pain or discomfort. Keep our information handy when you go on a trip, as well – if a need like this arises, we are happy to send all relevant patient information over to another practice so they can help you with your emergency.
For more on how to care for braces while on vacation, or to find out about any of our other orthodontic services, speak to the staff at Redwood Orthodontics today.